- Email Signup
- Grass Fed Meat Cooking Tips
- Lard vs. Coconut Oil
- About Us
- Featured Farmers
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Shipping Info
- Tendergrass Farms Reviews
- Contact Us
- Grass Fed Standards
- Benefits of Grass Fed Beef
- Why 'Beyond Organic'?
- Privacy Notice
- Grass Fed Beef Nutrition Facts
- Tendergrass Affiliate Program
Grass Fed Standards
Here at Tendergrass Farms, we take our grass fed animal production standards and protocols very seriously. While our cows eat only forage, our pastured pigs, pastured chickens, and pastured turkeys are fed a non-GMO corn and non-GMO whole roasted soy based feed that supplements the green leafy grasses, clovers, and other plant life that they eat.
The reason that we feed our pigs, chickens, and turkeys non-GMO grains comes down to the fact that these species cannot derive sufficient protein from their forage in order grow in a healthy manner. Cows, being ruminants, have a specially designed digestive systems that allow them to live happily without a concentrated protein or high energy diet. For this reason our grass fed cows are happy and healthy with a 100% grass-based diet while our non-ruminant chickens, turkeys, and pigs are given supplementary feed. The four stomachs that cows have enable them to process forage in a way that many animals, swine and poultry included, simply cannot.
Here's the breakdown, by animal, of what we allow them to eat.
Tendergrass Farms Grass Fed Beef:
- Only fed 100% forage (grasses, clovers, other green leafy stuff)
- Never fed grains or other non-forage feed of any kind
- Never given hormones or subtherapeutic antibiotics
Tendergrass Farms Pastured Chicken, Pastured Pork, and Pastured Turkey:
- Raised in a 100% pasture based rotational grazing system
- Never given antibiotics or artificial growth promotants
- Fed non-GMO corn and non-GMO whole roasted soybean based feed